Yesterday I made a presentation at the LaTESOL conference in Baton Rouge, LA. I wanted to show the participants some of the cool tools that are available online. It started off well. I had set up a wiki with links to a lot of things and wanted us to look at the ones they were most interested in. I could access the wiki fine, but we were unable to access all the sites. It wasn’t that they were blocked — just a connection problem of some sort.
We talked about many of the tools and I was able to answer many of their questions even though I wasn’t able to actually show them the tools. So on the whole, I was pretty content. I felt a little stupid every time a new site didn’t open, but they seemed to take it in stride.
It is so much nicer to do an internet based presentation than a typical “slide show”. But when they don’t work, it is a problem. I had most of the presentation in an OpenOffice Presentation, but I didn’t want to do it that way. I couldn’t have individualized the program nearly as well. But I have to think about how I an do this in the future. I don’t want another technology problem in a presentation on technology — It’s hard to win converts that way!